Re: OT: Re: Suitable text ed

On Thu 07 Sep 2017 at 14:40:22 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 07 September 2017 13:26:13 David Wright wrote:
> > On Thu 07 Sep 2017 at 08:42:54 (+0200), Jan-Peter Rühmann wrote:
> > >
> > > I prefer vi on the Console and Atom in the UI.
> > > before I found Atom I loved Kate very much and I still like mcedit
> > > in the Console and via ssh.
> >
> > I didn't know you could edit files side by side in mcedit.
> > (I take it we're talking MidnightCommander rather than Minecraft.)
>
> Neither did I, but then it seems to be a coin toss as to whether mc calls
> nano, or uses its own editor. Something controls it, but I haven't
> sussed what. Two side by side sessions on a high res screen would be
> handy, like awesome.

I don't use the internal editor as it buys me nothing, so I have

  use_internal_edit=0

in my ini file (~/.config/mc/ini) and

  include/editor
      Open=%var{EDITOR:less} %f

at the top of the extension file (~/.config/mc/mc.ext). In
addition, I have   EDITOR=less PAGER=less   set in bash's
invocation function.

I do use the internal viewer, so for a text file, my user-
definable keys are set to view ascii (F3), view hex (F4)
and view the output of file command (Return).

(All my files above are actually links for supporting
different Debian versions.)

Cheers,
David.