Re: OT: Re: Suitable text ed

On Wednesday 06 September 2017 18:14:56 Mike McClain wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 02:31:08AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The total configuration generally is not a single file, usually
> > broken up according to its order in the programs bootup, first being
> > the basic config, then the first of what could be 2 or 3 .hal files,
> > some of which can't be run until the gui is started, then once the
> > gui is drawn, more gui for accessory tally's, spindle
> > speed/direction, and dials to replace the cranks that no longer
> > exist, usually written in xml or pyvcp, or gladevcp is done, which
> > adds the "hal pins" that connect the machine gui to the machine. It
> > can get complex.  This most recent lathe has over 1200 lines of code
> > just in the configuration files.  And I still do not have any
> > coolant or lube facilities under control.  Stuff I have yet to build
> > or buy. :)
>
> Damn, that sounds like fun.

And when it all works, the grin reaches your ears. :)  One of the
problems in cnc'ing a lathe is that its not possible to mount a switch
at the zero radius or diameter point, there's nothing there but air.  So
you make a cut, then run the tool away in the z axis, measure the cut,
and then tell to software how big the x cut is as measured with the
highest accuracy measuring tool in the drawer. And that calibration is
only good for THAT cutting tool since each one is a different length or
width.  There are ways to measure and set that of course, as long as the
tool holder isn't moved on the carriage. Turn it 5 degrees to get a
cleaner cut and the tool table might as well be straight out of urandom
since that 5 degrees is moving the tool tip in an arc,

Generally, the home switches on a lathe are to establish the work
envelope only, stopping you from carving up the chuck jaws if you get
too close.  So I normally write gcode so z is touched off at 0.0000 at
the end of the workpiece.  Then I can make a dozen identical bolts by
sliding the workpiece out until its resting on the tool, tighten the
chuck, touch Z off to 0.000, and hit r on the keyboard. 4 minutes and 3
toolchanges later another nice shiny brass 8mmx1mm pitch bolt with a
1/2" hex head falls into the chip tray.  Sure I can buy them online for
less, but they are also 2 to 3 weeks away, and a heck of a lot poorer
fit.

> Mike
> --
> Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.
>     - Mark Twain

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)