Re: Problems with apt in a clean stretch install.

Hi Wayne,

I ran into the same issue with trusted.gpg.  I opened the file in nano and it was completely empty.  My guess is that apt is looking to this file for the public keys of the various servers, and it complains when it can't find them.  In fact, the keys are stored in the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/.  The relevant files are debian-archive-stretch-automatic.gpg and debian-archive-stretch-security-automatic.gpg.  When you have an empty trusted.gpg file in /etc/apt, it appears to ignore the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d directory.   Deleting the empty trusted.gpg file resolved the issue for me.   Importing the public keys manually isn't helping because apt is looking to the wrong location for the public keys.

Jason

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Wayne Hartell <w.hartell@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-07-04 at 20:50 +0930, Wayne Hartell wrote:
> > > Er ... sorry that last email should read ".... Phil Wyett's
> > > suggestion" in
> >
> > this thread.
> >
> > Yes, trying Phil's suggestion and will report back once I have had the
> > time to explore it properly (several systems now exhibiting this
> > problem). As a teaser, it seems that even software-properties-gtk
> > creates the trusted.gpg file, but even with that file deleted (as per
> > Phil) and sticking to the terminal and apt-get, I get the same key
> > related errors. In fact if I use software-properties-gtk it seems to
> > jam up on "Refeshing software cache"...
> > has been going on one machine now over 30 minutes.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I do not use the main server. I switched 'software-properties-gtk' to use it and I also get a hang at the what seems the end of the 'reload'
> process. In the terminal I see:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/softwareproperties/gtk/DialogCacheOutdated.py", line 86, in on_pktask_finish
>    results = self._pktask.generic_finish(result)
> GLib.Error: pk-client-error-quark: E: The repository 'http://deb.debia n.org/debian stretch/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
> W: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
> W: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
> (319)
>
> During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/softwareproperties/gtk/DialogCacheOutdated.py", line 89, in on_pktask_finish
>    Gtk.ButtonsType.CANCEL, _("Error while refreshing cache"))
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 326, in new_init
>    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 537, in __init__
>    self._init(*args, **new_kwargs)
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 326, in new_init
>    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 326, in new_init
>    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
> TypeError: could not convert value for property `transient_for' from DialogCacheOutdated to GtkWindow
>
> Using a mirror such as bytemark.co.uk, results in no issues here.
>

> Regards
>
> Phil

I double checked here whether trusted.gpg is created or not when I use 'software-properties-gtk' and it definitely is. When that file is present, however, I get the errors related to being unable to read it, plus all the other errors remain, even when using the same server as you are using.

FYI - I see the same exceptions as you in the terminal when running 'software-properties-gtk'.

On a laptop that I have set up for my wife (time to get her into Debian!) I was able to solve the issue just now by doing the following:

1. sudo -rm -f /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
        [Thanks for this step!]
2. sudo apt-get update
        [generated errors]
        Err:15 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates/non-free Sources
                404 Not Found
                [Perhaps this expected with non-free sources]
        A bunch of stuff (only seen on this laptop) about 'Symlinking final file /var/lib/apt/lists <...> failed - pkgAcqIndex::StageDownloadDone (17: File exists)
        The repository 'http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
        Failed to fetch http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/dists/stretch/updates/non-free/source/Sources 404 Not Found
        But this time NO public key errors, which is weird because they were definitely happening earlier on this machine.
3. /var/lib/apt/lists$ sudo rm -r -f *
        [This was mentioned by Dejan Jocic earlier, but the thread didn't lead to a solution. I tried it this time due to the Symlinking errors I was seeing on this particular laptop.]
4. sudo apt-get update
        [generated errors]
        Err:16 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates/non-free Sources
                404 Not Found
        The repository 'http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
        Failed to fetch http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/dists/stretch/updates/non-free/source/Sources 404 Not Found
5.  sudo apt-get upgrade
6. So then I tried changed sources.list to that found here:
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

Running sudo apt-get upgrade now produces no errors at all.

Running sudo apt-get update now shows that there is one package that will be upgraded (libcrypt20).

Unfortunately, following these steps (1, 3 and 6) on my other machine does not work. I still get public key errors.

I guess it's quite possible that with my messing around trying to import public keys that I have killed something on that machine. On my wife's laptop I didn't do anything other than the above steps.

Being a novice I am unable to figure out what all this means in terms of a full explanation/diagnosis other than perhaps there being an issue with some mirrors?, but for the time being I am happy that my wife's machine is working. I will try these steps on another Stretch laptop that I have shortly.

The first machine that seems to be toast is a VM and not a big deal. I will try installing from the RC3 DVD (as per Jimmy) or upgrading from 8.8 instead.

Regards,
Wayne.