RE: Problems with apt in a clean stretch install.

> On Tue, 2017-07-04 at 20:50 +0930, Wayne Hartell wrote:
> > > Er ... sorry that last email should read ".... Phil Wyett's
> > > suggestion" in
> >
> > this thread.
> >
> > Yes, trying Phil's suggestion and will report back once I have had the
> > time to explore it properly (several systems now exhibiting this
> > problem). As a teaser, it seems that even software-properties-gtk
> > creates the trusted.gpg file, but even with that file deleted (as per
> > Phil) and sticking to the terminal and apt-get, I get the same key
> > related errors. In fact if I use software-properties-gtk it seems to
> > jam up on "Refeshing software cache"...
> > has been going on one machine now over 30 minutes.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I do not use the main server. I switched 'software-properties-gtk' to use it and I also get a hang at the what seems the end of the 'reload'
> process. In the terminal I see:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/softwareproperties/gtk/DialogCacheOutdated.py", line 86, in on_pktask_finish
>    results = self._pktask.generic_finish(result)
> GLib.Error: pk-client-error-quark: E: The repository 'http://deb.debia n.org/debian stretch/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
> W: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
> W: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
> (319)
>
> During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-
> packages/softwareproperties/gtk/DialogCacheOutdated.py", line 89, in on_pktask_finish
>    Gtk.ButtonsType.CANCEL, _("Error while refreshing cache"))
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 326, in new_init
>    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 537, in __init__
>    self._init(*args, **new_kwargs)
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 326, in new_init
>    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
>  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 326, in new_init
>    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
> TypeError: could not convert value for property `transient_for' from DialogCacheOutdated to GtkWindow
>
> Using a mirror such as bytemark.co.uk, results in no issues here.
>

> Regards
>
> Phil

I double checked here whether trusted.gpg is created or not when I use 'software-properties-gtk' and it definitely is. When that file is present, however, I get the errors related to being unable to read it, plus all the other errors remain, even when using the same server as you are using.

FYI - I see the same exceptions as you in the terminal when running 'software-properties-gtk'.

On a laptop that I have set up for my wife (time to get her into Debian!) I was able to solve the issue just now by doing the following:

1. sudo -rm -f /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
	[Thanks for this step!]
2. sudo apt-get update
	[generated errors]
	Err:15 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates/non-free Sources
		404 Not Found
		[Perhaps this expected with non-free sources]
	A bunch of stuff (only seen on this laptop) about 'Symlinking final file /var/lib/apt/lists <...> failed - pkgAcqIndex::StageDownloadDone (17: File exists)
	The repository 'http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
	Failed to fetch http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/dists/stretch/updates/non-free/source/Sources 404 Not Found
	But this time NO public key errors, which is weird because they were definitely happening earlier on this machine.
3. /var/lib/apt/lists$ sudo rm -r -f *
	[This was mentioned by Dejan Jocic earlier, but the thread didn't lead to a solution. I tried it this time due to the Symlinking errors I was seeing on this particular laptop.]
4. sudo apt-get update
	[generated errors]
	Err:16 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates/non-free Sources
		404 Not Found
	The repository 'http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch/updates Release' does not have a Release file.
	Failed to fetch http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/dists/stretch/updates/non-free/source/Sources 404 Not Found
5.  sudo apt-get upgrade
6. So then I tried changed sources.list to that found here:
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

Running sudo apt-get upgrade now produces no errors at all.

Running sudo apt-get update now shows that there is one package that will be upgraded (libcrypt20).

Unfortunately, following these steps (1, 3 and 6) on my other machine does not work. I still get public key errors.

I guess it's quite possible that with my messing around trying to import public keys that I have killed something on that machine. On my wife's laptop I didn't do anything other than the above steps.

Being a novice I am unable to figure out what all this means in terms of a full explanation/diagnosis other than perhaps there being an issue with some mirrors?, but for the time being I am happy that my wife's machine is working. I will try these steps on another Stretch laptop that I have shortly.

The first machine that seems to be toast is a VM and not a big deal. I will try installing from the RC3 DVD (as per Jimmy) or upgrading from 8.8 instead.

Regards,
Wayne.