Re: Debian installation issues

On Thu 08 Jun 2017 at 20:48:28 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Le 08/06/2017 à 19:41, Brian a écrit :
> >On Thu 08 Jun 2017 at 12:17:22 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> >>The #debian bot currently recommends <http://sf.net/projects/win32diskimager/>
> >>if you need to write the Debian install image to a USB device from
> >>Windows.
> >
> >Steve McIntyre, a Debian Developer whose views on such matters is to be
> >respected, currently recommends Rufus in dd mode.
>
> I guess you are referring to the following bug report :
>
> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=863868>
>
> But when trying Rufus I found that it offers so many options and choices
> which are not easy to understand that it is extremely easy to select the
> wrong mode.

Having declared my position vis-à-vis Windows I could not possibly
comment. Others are in the more fortunate position to test Rufus
and Win32 Disk Imager and offer advice here. Not having the same
hardware as the OP shouldn't be an impediment to contributing.
Relating the experience adds to the sum total of knowledge and (in
addition) could help the OP.

I find it hard to believe that producing a program which writes a
bootable Debian image to a USB stick on Windows is beyond the
capabilities of a developer on that platform.