Re: Debian installation issues

On 8 June 2017 at 17:08, David DLC <drvrddc@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyway, I have disabled secure boot, but that didn't seem to solve the problem. My computer does not have a DVD drive, so I put the ISO (debian-8.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso) on a USB stick. When booting my computer, I specifically click "use a device", then "USB Drive (UEFI)". The computer runs for a minute, then pops up the error message. I don't think boot order would change this, as I am booting specifically from the USB. I forgot to mention that I am attempting to dual boot my computer, so I don't wish to remove Windows completely.

I have also tried rewriting the ISO multiple times, with both the complete and smaller installation sets. I can try another USB stick, but I don't have any lying around and would likely need to purchase a new one.

​You are posting correctly as far as I can see.  I have used Rufus and it worked easily.  I assume that your usb stick works OK to store files in the conventional way.

I have found that I needed to repeat usb stick iso file burning or whatever term you use for it; sometimes it didn't work ie wouldn't boot from it the first time - try wiping the stick and using Rufus again to burn the iso onto it and have another go.

Cheers

MF

I have attached the system info if anyone would like to take a look:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description  Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DAVIDDLC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Spectre XT TouchSmart PC
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU C2M71UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.04, 11/10/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 68.57
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
User Name DAVIDDLC\Other_2
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.90 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.79 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.15 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.08 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes