Re: Stretch stable and jessie testing - repositories listed

On Thu 09 Feb 2017 at 18:58:34 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Thursday 09 February 2017 17:51:00 GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> > Lisi Reisz:
> > > So let's start at the beginning.
> >
> > OK
> >
> > > What exactly does your sources.list currently say?
> > > (/etc/apt/sources.list) Please copy and paste it.
> >
> > I deleted the headers ##### ...
> >
> > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> > deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> >
> > deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
>
> Right, so if you wish to remain on Stretch, which I think you do, replace the
> word testing with the name stretch in all 4 of those lines.  Then update -
> however you do that in Synaptic.  Then carry on as normal.  I would do:
> # aptitude update
> # aptitude full-upgrade
> if I were changing testing to Stretch right now.

Excellent advice. Sticking with "stretch" gets you all the updates to
testing until stable is released (a couple of months or so from now).
Then you stay on stable/stretch and get only security updates and a few
other important changes (which, hopefully, have been carefully vetted).

> And I should do it relatively soon, or at the moment Stretch becomes Stable
> you will find yourself effectively on Sid!!!
>
> Then you can change to bullseye when it suits you.  I personally never use the
> names stable, testing, unstable.  I prefer codenames.  I want more control!!

A very, very small point, which does not detract from the point you are
making. Sid is unstable and unstable is Sid. It doesn't matter which one
is chosen to be in sources.list. Mind you, stable is Jessie and Jessie
is stable. It's only testing/whatever you have to be careful about.

--
Brian.