Re: Stretch stable and jessie testing - repositories listed

On Thu 09 Feb 2017 at 16:09:00 (+0000), GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> I hope you do see now that I would have to change, if not, I still did
> not understand what you are saying.  If testing is already in there (and
> has been for a while) and I update weekly once stretch is released I
> will be in nowhere-land in the neverlands (debian 10?).  I panicked when
> I thought of it and I wanted to double check before I mess something up.
>  I mistakenly thought that the addresses of the repositories would be
> different for stretch than for (jessie --> testing).  I see now that
> they are not.

The big decision you, and everyone, has to make is whether to use
codenames in your sources.list (what you're editing) or symlink names.
If you use codenames (wheezy, jessie, stretch, buster...) you choose
the moment when you dist-upgrade from one to the next.
OTOH if you use symlink names (oldstable, stable, testing) you move
when the powers-that-be make a change, ie release a new distribution.

sid/unstable is different, it evolves smoothly but is punctuated by
calamities (pace those who use it).

People run servers on codenames because they have to prepare for and
test changes in their own time¹. If you run on symlink names, you have
to accept that one day (Release Day) you will be surprised when your
routine update&upgrade turns into update&dist-upgrade with no warning,
because all the symlinks will have moved one place along.

For a picture of what's going on, take a look at

which still has the correct symlinks until the next Release Day,
fairly soon.

> PS  I am on the "users" list right, not the "sysadmins" list?

Most of the conversations on this list are about system administration
in some respects. Thus, for example, no one is interested whether you
use your computer to watch youtube videos, but they would be concerned
if you couldn't hear any sound while doing so.

(But you're not on the developers/maintainers' list. Some of them
do look in.)

¹there are also issues with how quickly security fixes are applied.

Cheers,
David.