Re: Advice / recommendations on Inexpensive Managed Ethernet Switches

Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> On Thursday, 2 February 2017 11:19:59 PYST rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm sending this to the Debian user list first, even though it is
>> probably somewhat OT.
>>
>> Background: Recently I started monitoring how many packets are going
>> through
>> my LAN to my ISP (Earthlink (DSL)).  I have (or maybe had) some thought
>> about considering a switch to HughesNet satelite service, which has some
>> low limits (before slowdown) on how many bytes you can download per month
>> (without looking, I think the limits are like 5, 10, and 15 GB).
>>
> Excuse me please for writing this on a Debian list, but ... I see the
> flame war coming ...
>
> I'm using this board
> http://www.pcengines.ch/apu1d.htm

I am using similar board to build a router but with debian minimal
installation. The setup is as follows

telco
modem -(wired/DMZ)-> debian(router/firewall) -> switch (unmgd) -> network0
  |                          +-> switch (unmgd) -> network1
  +-> wireless

The advantage here is that all wireless are outside the firewall. In your
case it would be

telco
modem -(wired/DMZ)-> debian(router/firewall) -> switch (unmgd) -> network0

                            +-> wireless network

and the board suggested will fit the need from the specs