Re: Advice / recommendations on Inexpensive Managed Ethernet Switches

On giovedì 2 febbraio 2017 11:19:59 CET rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Layout of the network (for background):
>
> The Earthlink DSL modem (Westell) is followed by an Ethernet (unmanaged}
> switch.
>
> From that switch there are three cables:
>
>    * One to a WiFi hotspot that is almost always on (but only used by my son
> playing games while watching TV)
>
>    * One to my desk [...] There is
> an unmanaged Ethernet switch here to connect the various devices.
>
>    * One to my son's desk [...] There is an
> unmanaged Ethernet switch here to connect the various devices.

I'm just curious, but I cannot understand how you can have Internet access
from all your devices, considering you just have a modem plus some switches,
but you don't have a router that does Network Address Translation. Perhaps the
modem is in fact a modem/router combo, rather than a modem-only device?