Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On 02/03/2017 06:50 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 11:34:03PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Have you looked at the SMART reports?  Please paste the following command
into a root shell, run it once for each drive (replacing /dev/sdX with the
corresponding device name), and paste both the command and the output into
your reply:

# smartctl -x /dev/sdX
root:/var/log# smartctl -x /dev/sda

bash: smartctl: command not found

What package would this be in?

apt-file search smartctl

shows this is in package smartmontools (in Jessie, I assume same in
other flavours)

Also it is installed in /usr/sbin which a non-root user doesn't usually
have on their path, which implies it may have to be executed as root.
The # in the sample command line also implies that, but just in case it
wasn't obvious...

Mark

I had been trying as root (see above). I do not have smartmontools currently installed. If I remember correctly, that is only going to be useful if it was already installed so the daemon could be capturing data when the problem occurred. Is that correct, or am I thinking of a different package?

Marc