Re: installing knoppix or debian on hard list

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
I have my existing OS on /sda3. I want to leave it untouched. I also
have an OS on /sda4 that I am willing to overwrite. The easiest path
for me is to fire up Knoppix 7.6 and write it to hard disk. But I need
assurance that I won't disturb /sda3 in any way.

--
John Culleton
Wexfordpress

It's entirely dependent on you whether /dev/sda3 will be disturbed or not.

I haven't fired up Knoppix in quite a long time, and don't know what it's installer looks like, but I suspect you'll get a chance to choose what partitions to use, and at that point, it's all on you.

You might find it easier/safer to put a second hard drive in the computer, remove /sda (so it can't be touched), then install to the second drive. Of course, that depends on you having a second drive available.

Tinkering with partitions is always risky; a good backup is your friend.

--
Kent West                    <")))><