Re: What file system to use?

Is there any difference between ext3 and ext4 in terms of backing up a
system?  I can't recall the details but I run into a backup problem once
and remember reading that ext4 was under experimentation by the backup
developers and ext3 was supported fully but not ext4.
I am not sure if it was clonezilla or not.

Gary Dale:
> On 01/02/17 03:23 AM, Dennis Wicks wrote:
>> I am going to install some more disks and I was wondering which file
>> system to use.
>>
>> I have several ext? and a few with Reiserfs. Is there a better choice
>> than Reiser now? Also, is there any way to convert from my existing fs
>> to the recommended one?
>>
>> BTW, I am running "Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)" on 686-pae.
>>
>> Many TIA!
>> Dennis
>>
> Haven't used Reiser since he was charged with murder. It used to have
> some advantages but they have long since been obviated.
>
> BTRFS will become the default choice at some point but the last time I
> checked, it was still a lot slower than ext4.
>
> I avoid LVM because I don't see any point in adding complexity to a
> system when you don't need to. Unless you are constantly fiddling with
> partitions, you don't need it.
>
> However if you have a multi-disk system, I suggest using software RAID
> (mdadm) to provide some safety against disk failure. I use RAID6 on
> servers and either RAID1 or RAID5 on workstations. Disks are cheap
> enough these days that I don't see any need to worry about disk failures.
>
> Finally, I recommend using an SSD for your system drive. The extra speed
> is worth it on workstations. However I always use RAID for /home and
> network shares.

universe are pointed away from Earth?