Re: Debian natively on Android device

On 1/31/17, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> I'm interested in the problem of running Debian on an Android device and
>> visited:
>>
>>  https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile
>>
>> .  I'm trying to follow the tutorial:
>>
>>  http://whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Debian
>>
>> , but it seems to be quite hard.  I'm stuck where the tutorial says:
>>
>>  # mkbootimg --base 0x00200000 --kernel zImage --ramdisk
>> initramfs.cpio.gz
>>  # -o my-boot.img
>>
>> , as I don't know where the file zImage is on my Android device nor the
>> base
>> address (above 0x00200000).  I got some help from the debian-mobile
>> mailing list but it was not such that I managed to solve my problem.
>>
>> I think it's important to remark that the above tutorial, as far as I
>> understand, is not about running Debian within the costraints or at the
>> top of
>> Android system, as many other kind of solutions do, but instead natively.
>>
>> It compiles the Android kernel and replace - it seems - the original with
>> the modified one.
>>
>> Anyone out there who's interested as well in the matter and has already
>> experienced it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rodolfo
>
> There is one device running on native (or almost native debian). The device
> is called Nokia N9.
> "MeeGo was a Linux distribution hosted by the Linux Foundation, using
> source
> code from the operating systems Moblin (produced by Intel) and Maemo
> (produced by Nokia)." [1]
> Unfortunately discontinued.
> The problem with your undertaking is (woud be) support for hardware aka
> drivers. You can look at jolla [2], sailfish [3].
>
> Honestly I admire people that have time to waste! If you want to be useful,
> join some of the running projects. There are also lists of devices where
> hardware is supported.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo
> [2] https://jolla.com/
> [3] https://sailfishos.org/

The ".br" part of one of Rodolfo's offered URLs caught my eye [1].
This kind of thing can sometimes be about that... this may be the
only.... gah... piece of hardware.... sorry, at loss for words... may
be the only [piece of hardware] available for this kind of activity,
possibly even nationwide. That would drive that kind of interest.

My observation there is based on that I follow a few wonderful blogs
and news'y interest sources from South and Central America. I've NEVER
seen a picture of someone in front of a laptop or desktop pc, but I'll
sometimes see pics of all kinds of people in same pic, all with a
cellphone in hand.

There's a neat image out there somewhere where people in Africa, I
think it was, gained notoriety in photography circles. They were
standing around a mud puddle... while taking pics of a solar eclipse
with their cellphones. You can see several cellphones in the various
onlookers' hands. That very special image left an interesting
impression about how other cultures *MIGHT* *POTENTIALLY* be doing
*ALL* their computing.

And yes, I'm definitely a-suming facts not in evidence in those kinds
of cases. *grin*

Just thinking out loud.. :)

PS As an afterthought, sometimes inquiries that seem woefully outdated
or suchly... are about countries that have inherited things like our
absolute bottom basement, bottom dollar throwaways... and they're
trying to make them work because that's all they have....

Cindy

[1] https://cascardo.eti.br/blog/GNU_on_a_Smartphone/

--
Cindy-Sue Causey