Re: Is there any software where I can find free software suggestions classified by category and by user rating in Debian?

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 18:46:15 +0100
Pablo Castillo Rivas <castillorivaspablo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Probably you're looking for this:
> > > https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome-software
> > > <https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome-software>
>

> Despite there are few user votes, that is basically what I missed.
> Thanks. Since it is an easy, time-saving way to find apps, why isn't
> something like this included in the Debian installation?

I hesitate to mention it, but Mint and Ubuntu, and to a slightly lesser
extent, Gnome, are aimed at a different user base than would be
expected to use straight Debian.

People who go for basic Debian often deliberately avoid Gnome and KDE
(I use a couple of applications designed for both that I like, but not
the environments themselves) because they prefer to make their own
choices. Such people are less likely to want to know what other people
use, or what other people think are good, and are more likely to try the
alternatives themselves to decide which one (or more) best suits their
needs.

For example, I use Network Manager on my portable Debians, a practice
which causes many people to hiss and hold up crossed fingers, but I
find that it Works For Me. On the other hand, I don't have it on my
desktop, because I occasionally do odd network things and don't want to
try to fight a 'helpful' piece of software, and it would never occur to
me to put it on a server. Horses for courses. You might well use two or
even three different text editors for different purposes, with none of
them being the best for all purposes. I have at least three different
web browsers installed, as while I normally use Firefox, sometimes it
can't deal with an odd website. There's no real shortcut to finding out
what works for you.

--
Joe