Re: Language of applications are not translated if the default language is changed

On 12/26/2017 4:46 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 04:34:53PM +0100, john doe wrote:
On 12/26/2017 2:27 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
<https://wiki.debian.org/Locale> describes the basic concepts and
procedures for selecting your locale.

Thank you for this,

I guess what I'm asking is:

When I install Debian, at the beginning, I select language 'a' and proceed
with installation.
The installed system is properly set to language 'a' (desktop manager,
Firefox, Thunderbird, Libreoffice, dictionaries  ...).

In console mode I can change the language using 'LANG*'.
What should I do to translate Firefox and Thunderbird to language 'b'?

Are you currently using a Desktop Environment?  (If so, which one?)

Yes, I'm currently using Mate and Gnome.

If this is the case, then you typically need to select your language
within the Desktop Environment's control system.

That's a given.

If you aren't using a Desktop Environment, then how do you login?  On
the console and then 'startx', or through a Display Manager?  (If so,
which one?)

If you login via a DM, then your regular shell dot files are NOT read
during startup.  You would need to put your LANG=... in a different place
in order to be sure the DM reads it.

(And as we have learned the hard way on this mailing list, setting
variables won't help you AT ALL if you are using GNOME, because it
clobbers them and does its own thing.  You *really* need to use GNOME's
control system to set your language, if you use GNOME.  Which means you
are at the mercy of the GNOME control system, and all of its limitations.)

Not what I wanted to hear -- thanks

If this issue is really "I use foobardm; where do I put variables for
my login sessions" then see <https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession> for
suggestions.

I know that exporting shell variables 'LANG*' will not help for Gnome and Mate.

Apparently, I can't use the command line to set the languages in Gnome/Mate.
I have one computer (locally accessed) on which multiple users use different languages.
My goal is to avoied having to logged in to eatch user to set the language.

If I'm not clear enough or if what I want is not possible, an other approach along with some more testing will be needed.

--
John Doe