Re: Language of applications are not translated if the default language is changed

On 12/26/2017 2:27 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 08:27:20AM +0100, Andre Majorel wrote:
On 2017-12-23 19:21 +0100, john doe wrote:

I have install Debian 9 using as the default language 'C'.
I want to add some new languages, and for this I do 'dpkg-reconfigure
locales'.
I'm currently using Gnome and Mate.

How can I add support for those new languages so all
applications will be translated in the desired language (using
command line is prefered)?

Have you tried setting LC_ALL appropriately (eg LC_ALL=fr_FR) in
your .profile then logging out & in again ?

Do not use LC_ALL for this purpose.  It should be reserved for emergency
overrides on a single command basis.

Use the LANG variable to set your default locale and character set.

<https://wiki.debian.org/Locale> describes the basic concepts and
procedures for selecting your locale.

In order to receive output in your preferred language, each application
needs to have been configured for localization *and* have a translation
mapping for your language.  The more common/popular a program is, the
more likely this is to be true, at least for the more common languages.

Thank you for this,

I guess what I'm asking is:

When I install Debian, at the beginning, I select language 'a' and proceed with installation. The installed system is properly set to language 'a' (desktop manager, Firefox, Thunderbird, Libreoffice, dictionaries ...).

In addition to language 'a', I want to add support for language 'b' so the user could choose between language 'a' or 'b'. Doing 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' selecting language 'a' and 'b' is not enough for Firefox, Thunderbird to be translated into language 'b'..
In console mode I can change the language using 'LANG*'.
What should I do to translate Firefox and Thunderbird to language 'b'?

--
John Doe