Re: Mixing and Matching DHCP and static IPs

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Marc Auslander <marcslists@gmail.com> wrote:
The safest way to fix an ip address in a dhcp served network is to tell
the dhcp server to associate that address with the mac of the unit.  The
address should be outside the dhcp range you set up.  I normall pin down
all my connected devices that way, leaving the dhcp assignment for
guests etc.  I've never seen a router which didn't support this.

Or, just tell the DHCP server that you want a specific MAC address to always be assigned to a specific IP address.  It doesn't matter if it's in or out of the assignment range, then, or whether or not the unit in question understands DHCP or is configured manually on it's end; the DHCP server will not assign another client to that IP.  Though for ease of dealing with static assignments, I personally find it much simpler to do it all at the DHCP server end only if the client end speaks DHCP, just in the off chance I need to change the network configuration later.