Re: Migrate an old debian to a new machine

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 10:31:16 +0100 Markus Grunwald <markus@the-grue.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For 10 Years, I've been working with my trusted old T61 (still with
> "IBM" logo...). Now I'm waiting for a new T570.
>
> The last migrations of my Debian installations were just dd'ing a full
> disk image from machine OLD to NEW and then resize the partitions with
> gparted (I hate new installations... something's lost every time.)

Your old method with all the changes made to hardware just won't work
anymore.  You'll be lucky if the machine even boots.  A clean install
whether you like it or not is the most reliable solution. And still
there are hoops to jump through.

> These migrations were always done on BIOS machines. I have almost no
> experience with UEFI. Now my question is: will this work with the new
> machine as well? Or do I have to do something else because of UEFI (or
> something else that's different on a modern T570)?

You don't have to use UEFI if "Legacy" mode, that is CSM, Computer
Support Module, is available.  If you want to dual boot with Windows
10, you'll have to use UEFI.  You can't mix-n-match. Then there's
Fastboot  which no Linux distro including Debian support.  Less we
forget Secureboot, too, which the vast majority of distros don't support
either. Some do: Red Hat, Ubuntu, SUSE, a few others. Requires distro
developer to purchase a key only available from Microsoft that
"unlocks" computer to boot. Both can be disabled (so far), but hoops
jumping through needed to do so.

I suggest you find and read everything you can about installing Debian
on a contemporary laptop.

FWIW, Thinkpads are pretty Linux compliant. And Lenovo supports Linux,
too.