Re: Youtube - newbie guidance

Andre Majorel <aym-naibed@teaser.fr> writes:

> You occasionally have to install a new version [of ‘youtube-dl’] from
> upstream, which in this case is easy : download from their site and
> plop into /usr/local/bin or ~/bin so that command "youtube-dl" refers
> to the new version instead of the now useless /usr/bin/youtube-dl
> provided by the Debian package.

I recommend against that. One important reason we install packages from
Debian is so that we *don't* need to manage and run arbitrary code from
upstream.

Doing that also breaks package tracking when a security or other update
is needed, losing another benefit of running the Debian package.

The Debian package ‘youtube-dl’ in Unstable is typically updated within
a day or two if YouTube breaks the interface.

    <URL:https://packages.debian.org/sid/youtube-dl>

I recommend downloading the *Debian package* of the new version when it
is available, and installing that. You will then continue enjoying the
benefits of running the program as packaged in Debian.

--
 \            “The whole area of [treating source code as intellectual |
  `\    property] is almost assuring a customer that you are not going |