Re: Debian, FF & NavyFed

I have a good friend who has been part of Navy Federal Credit Union for a while and he has had his credit card hacked and replaced three times this year. Forewarned is forearmed and his email address if you want to check is kingtut41@gmail.com.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Greg Wooledge wrote:

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 08:06:47
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian, FF & NavyFed

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 06:10:28PM -0800, Mike McClain wrote:
I signed up with Navy Federal Credit Union online banking last week.
I can login, I get the banner in color , it says getting your info.

Which browser?

Oh, you're one of those people who hides details in the Subject.  "FF"
meaning Firefox?  Upstream Firefox Quantum?  One of the firefox-esr
packages in Debian?  Iceweasel?  Which release of Debian?  Which Firefox
family package version?  What does it say in "About Firefox"?

As soon they come back with and display my balance all the text turnes
to grey and a twiddler pops up and it stays like that forever.
    NFCU's tech support will not admit to knowing who's waiting for
what just we don't support Linux.

Sounds like either an advertisement or some kind of applet.

    Suggestions on how to fix this or how to approach it are most
welcome.

1) Try Google Chrome.
1a) Try Chromium.
1b) Try upstream Firefox Quantum if you're using a package; try the
   packaged firefox-esr if you're using upstream.

2) Try installing Java (with Firefox applet support).
2a) Try installing Flash (with Firefox plugin support).

3) Try disabling any ad blocker type things you're using.
3b) Try adding an ad blocker type thing.

4) Try borrowing a Microsoft Windows machine.

5) Try a different bank.

The general rule of thumb in Internet life: the more important a web site
is, the more atrociously, horribly, indefensibly BAD it is.  Governments,
banks, hospitals -- all use the WORST possible web technology you've
never even heard of.  Always.  Every fucking time.

Count on it to work only in one specific (deprecated) version of MSIE
on one specific (past end of life) release of Windows.  When the stars
align correctly.