Re: does elinks have a show hidden links option?

Hi Davidson,
Let me try to answer your good questions in context.

I am not a user of elinks, so I can present no direct solution to your
problem here. Nonetheless, I have a comment or two, which I hope will
be understood in accordance with the constructive spirit in which I
offer them.
Actually, your question is a good one, and lets me provide some context for my own goals.

First comment: Is there prior context to this question? I see none on
this mailing list. Just FYI.
If you are asking why I broached the issue here, it is because e-links, links, and lynx, are discussed here as all are part of Debian distributions. Given the development background of many here as well, if a back door exists to my goals my hope is that someone will know it, or confirm that it does not exist.

 does elinks have a way to change the character set display?
Second comment: You have not, as far as I can tell, fully described
here the context that motivates you to seek to change the character
set. In other words, what is the specific problem you experience (on
paypal's website, I gather) that makes you want to change the
character set?

Granted I am sure I was not overly detailed, sometimes when working against a personal deadline, and or writing from my office, I aim for the simplest question to solve the goal. My first question was if e-links has a way to display hidden links. that I feel might solve the problem. However I base that assumption on my use of a browser that does provide this option lynx.
Now to answer your question.
A few months back Paypal changed the method of displaying information in some communications, and on the site. For example, while my e-mails discussing master debit card transactions are still presented in my mail reader, which is pine, an option with shellworld, who provides my direct contact with Linux based programs. We have alpine too, but I am not personally fond of Alpine. Back to the issue. Some e-mails from paypal, say the ones telling me that I have earned cash back, appear to be blank text wise again at least in pine. Once I checked with alpine, finding the text could be read. Now, I suspect that the default character set for each program is different. I admit that some other term may better explain what I mean, for example, another term related to display, but I am using character set as a way to explain what I mean.
Here is how all that relates to the website.
I received a money request from a friend. Because paypal only allows me to access my accounts using elinks, I find a way to both read the e-mail in elinks and reach my account. I will explain how that is done if important, but I do not feel it is where the problem is concerned. The email has a pay now link which is one I can select from the keyboard. I am taken to a page where I can log in to pay, and I do so. However, while the page is labeled at the top suggesting I could make a payment, the section of the page where such information would appear is well garbled. I have the same experience if I try reading so called secured messages on the site too. whatever is being displayed is not appearing, perhaps the coding is dynamic, I do not know. If elinks has a display hidden inks option the way lynx does, perhaps the information would appear. If there are ways to choose other character sets, perhaps I can match the same one Alpine uses, or try some options, and thereby also display the content...and make my payment. I want to give you a chance to read these details before considering the other information in your e-mail.

Frankly the people solving the problem should be Paypal, but they have stated that even with paid staff in charge of accessibility, no one in Customer service knows anything about accommodations.
Thanks,
Karen

[Note: I, davidson, do not wish to suggest that wanting to change the
character set in elinks is a "strange problem". But your original post
appears to leave entirely to our imaginations the specific problem you
are experiencing with paypal's website when using elinks.]

|    * After much interaction and wasted time, it finally becomes clear
|      that the user really wants help with X, and that Y wasn't even a
|      suitable solution for X.
| | The problem occurs when people get their train of thought stuck on
|  one approach and become unable to take a step back. Remaining open
|  to having a new look at the bigger picture, these people might find
|  their way back to X and continue searching for alternative
|  solutions.

 No idea if this will help, but paypal only lets me use one browser
 now..all others generate an image verification.

That is appalling. Encountering such arbitrary design decisions
(willful breakage of accessibility, really) must be very frustrating.

I hope you find a remedy in this instance.

Good luck!

--

@wakandaho 10 Dec 2017

ppl on twitter who use a dense sociopolitical vocabulary even when
they aren't tweeting about an issue are annoying af. Sometimes they
can make a point using language everyone can understand but they
choose not to, which is linguistically inappropriate and a form of
exclusion

@wakandaho 10 Dec 2017 | @wakandaho

wish yall would get some basic knowledge on sociolinguistics and how
not only language but also language use can be a form of
exclusion. Yall sometimes use sociopolitical jargon a)
inappropriately, b)just to sound faux intellectual, c)with people whom
YOU KNOW don't understand

@gollygrahams 10 Dec 2017 | @wakandaho

not everyone can understand this . u should say: do not use long word.