Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Sunday 10 December 2017 19:02:49 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 16:43:02 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > That's ridiculous. I don't want all the docs on all the
> > > installations. I only install docs on the machines that either I'm
> > > going to read it on or one with a big disk.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > David.
> >
> > While I do have spinning rust drives of a terrabyte on both of those
> > credit card sized machines, functioning as swaps and work areas,
> > they are still booting and running from a 32GB sd chip disk.
>
> …whereas the two laptops I mainly type into have respectively 60 and
> 80 GB disks of rust. Both have two root filesystems with different
> versions of Debian. The smaller drive's PC needs a swap partition to
> function, the other needs one for hibernation. Not a lot of space
> left for /home. Installing shedloads of docs for each person's PITA
> would contravene Debian's sensible policies.

This I'd guess is important, if you have several users. I don't, except
for amanda and nut, and thats only on this machine. All the rest have
one user, me, known under various aliases because the idiot installer is
now set to give the first user the machines name like pi or rock64. I
spent a month trying to fix user 1000 to be me instead of pi on the pi.

It was like trying to excavate the pine island pirate treasure, so I
eventually gave it up and reinstalled the jessie image. Ditto on the
rock64, so the only thing common is the password. Fortunately an ssh -Y
usr@machine works just fine.

I would not call my wife computer illiterate, but the last machine she
had to use for report card preps, (she's a long retired music teacher)
was a Packard-Bell with an 80286 cpu and dos-3.1 on floppies. She could
do it by hand in 1/3rd of the time. I have set her down at prior
versions of this keyboard, but running a mouse is beyond her. She spent
34 years teaching grade school music in the county school system.

> Hopefully tomás won't need to paraphrase this :)
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)