Re: Upgrading from very-old Debian

On 11/29/2017 01:01 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 03:42:15PM +0000, Richard Zimmerman wrote:
I'm pretty new to the Debian list here

Welcome aboard!

but over on the CentOS list I'm on, migrating from init system to
systemd isn't for the faint of heart as I understand it.

There's more of a culture of upgrade rather than reinstall in Debian
than in CentOS and family, in general. The systemd upgrade was handled
very well and was seamless for most people; however, someone upgrading
from such a long release ago is not something that will have been
thoroughly tested and it's quite possible that an old init script that
was modified (and therefore won't be replaced by package upgrades) could
come along for the ride and cause problems.

Hi Jonathan, and that's the reason I would choose Wheezy as the target to upgrade to where the only thing sys.d is login.d and there's not a lot of plasma to deal with.

But I'm the weird guy who thinks upgrading is mostly always a fun learning experience where I get to use the tools Debian has given me, synaptic, apt, aptitude, dpkg, upgrade-system, gtkorphan, etc.

Cheers!
--
Jimmy Johnson

KDE Plasma 5.8.7 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263