Re: software to do drawings of houses, gardens, etc.

On Tue 28 Nov 2017 at 23:12:19 (+1100), Erik Christiansen wrote:

> If I used a mouse, all the walls would differ in thickness, and only be
> approximately in the right position. Yeah, there's probably snap-to-grid,
> but that has to be too fine to add anything, if it's to handle arbitrary
> dimensions.

But generally, wall thicknesses are not arbitrary. For example, an
internal wall is going to be constructed on 2x4 framing. With an
architectural CAD program, one click would increase that to 2x6
if, say, you decided you wanted a pocket door. Likewise if you
wanted more insulation or stiffness in a particular exterior wall.

> If you have to create with the mouse, then mouse-select a
> side to give it a precise dimension via a dialogue box, then it seems
> easier to skip the mouse-wrangling, as it doesn't add anything.
>
> The only disadvantages are that programming a suite of artifacts to place
> would drive 99% of users nuts at the outset,

But those artifacts correspond with the in-built preferences of the
CAD program. Many of the dimensions you mention aren't as arbitrary
as they might appear once you consider the consequences; door and
window sizes, ceiling heights, etc.

But a solution depends on how much help with designing is needed, and
how much is just drafting.

Cheers,
David.