Re: [rkhunter] coyote.coyote.den - Daily report

On 27-11-17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 27 November 2017 17:39:45 Brian wrote:

> > > An obviously contaminated firefox-esr. Or whatever in this list is
> > > contaminated: Its to complete list from the last wheezy update.
> > >
> > > Turns out that rkhunter looked over firefox-esr on its previous run
> > > and apparently gave it a passing grade. So I have to assume its
> > > something in yesterdays list:
> >
> > [Long list snipped]
> >
> > I'd ignore it. Better still, purge rkhunter from the system. It is
> > renowned for giving false positives. There is no well-substantiated
> > account of it ever discovering anything of consequence.

That is terrible advice. If you do not understand it, purge it and
warnings will be gone. That rkhunter is approved, tested and well used
and recommended tool by some security experts is of no value at all.

> Thats another possibility, I get tired of its mewling about stuff thats
> normal here. I use amanda, so yes, xinetd is in use, and other similar
> crap. I am amazed it doesn't fuss about ~/gene/bin/mailwatcher, which is
> my coupling between fetchmail and kmail.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If you are tired of its "mewling about stuff thats normal here" then do
something about it. Rkhunter has conf file where you can whitelist that
stuff.

All that rkhunter did was its job. He issued you warnings about some
stuff that according to its conf file is suspicious. Now, it is on you
to investigate that and see if those warnings  are serious, or not.