Re: Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) viewer and/or file format

On 11/13/2017 12:06 AM, Dan Hitt wrote:
On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
On 11/12/2017 09:45 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:

I have some DFTs that i wish to inspect.  (Apparently DFT is a common
acronym, but here i mean Discrete Fourier Transform.  And properly
speaking it doesn't make sense to inspect a transform, but only to
inspect transformed data, but i'm speaking colloquially.)

DFTs are a common artifact in digital signal processing.  Lots of
Debian packages are focused on FFTs (Fast Fourier Transforms, a way of
computing DFTs).  Nevertheless i couldn't find either a standard file
format to store one, or software specifically for viewing DFTs.

Of course, lots of software can take data, then transform it, then
display the transform that it created, but i would like something that
can take an already created DFT in some standard format, then display
it.

TIA for any information or pointers or advice from anybody! :)

dan

A useful set of expertise is available at the USENET group at comp.dsp .
HTH

Thanks Richard.

Maybe you're exactly right, because if i can find any free software
that's relevant to what i want, then i can probably get it to Debian.
(If i have something specific, then can bring it up here in fact if i
have trouble installing it.)

I know there are Ubuntu users on that list as one pointed me in that direction when I escaped Windows. That's how I found Debian ;}

How do you normally access usenet?

As a former Netscape user, I find SeaMonkey comfortable [http://www.seamonkey-project.org/]

In the old days (meaning, decades ago) i used to read usenet with rn.

I suppose a modern equivalent would be google groups, but if i do get
back in the usenet scene, i'm wondering if there's a more
command-liney thing or just other alternatives to consider before
walking down the google trail.

I avoid Google!
For a free news server I have used http://www.aioe.org/ .
I currently use a paid service, https://www.supernews.com/ .

Anyhow, whether or not you have an answer about the best way to go to
usenet, i appreciate the suggestion because that group (comp.dsp) is
probably where i can find what i'm looking for if it exists at all.

The group is composed primarily of those using DSP on a daily basis.

dan