Re: Re: Reproducible bug

On 11/12/17, Laurent Lyaudet <laurent.lyaudet@gmail.com> wrote:
> deloptes wrote:
>> I don't use Gnome, because gtk with the concept behind caused a lot of
>> trouble long time ago and could not convince me that it will ever get
>> better so I can't help much. But ... there should be logging facility and
>> you need perhaps to enable something somewhere to see where it is coming
>> from or what is happening when the problem appears.
>
>> I usually look first in ~/.xsession-errors
>
>> someone else perhaps could help on where and how to debug gtk/gnome
>
> Thanks for this indication. I found no such file with :
>
> find / -name 'xsession*'
>
> I will google for gnome error logging.

Does "find" find hidden files without being specifically told how to
do so? The other thing is that maybe you've just been phenomenally
blessed to have no errors. That *could* happen.. :)

~/.xession-errors can be found manually via a text editor or file
manager. Either can be pointed to the /home/[username] ("~/")
directory. If hidden "dot files and folders" are not showing, it's
*almost* universal that a user can do a "CTRL+H" keyboard combination
from *almost* anywhere to alternately reveal and then re-hide hidden
files.

/var/log is another place for some log files. Maybe there's something
in /var/log/syslog (or one or another of its archived versions) that
could show something.

What I'm thinking is maybe there's a warning or error message at boot
that might indicate something's not loading or otherwise performing as
expected during the boot process. That would have a trickle down
effect into overall system operability.

And then again... maybe not. :)

But like in my case just now, I making sure I was referencing the
correct log file... and found mine has a warning about a power button
conflict of interest going on under the hood.. along with a bunch of
other interesting things I keep forgetting to go back and play with
for the purpose of learning more about Debian.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *