mysqldump from mysql 5.1.73 to mariadb 10.1.26 imports no data

I am importing databases from old host to new. Checking stuff I noticed all databases were created but they had no tables and no records.

Examining this I tried to run the mysqldump that tries to copy the database from SOURCE to TARGET. Seems it does not dump the contents of the database, just some SET lines. Example below with usernames and passwords edited out. This command was run on the TARGET. I did not see error messages in logs.

root@ispc6:~# mysqldump -cCQ --triggers --routines --quote-names --hex-blob -h <ip-number -u <username> -p'password' alfamat_db -- MySQL dump 10.16  Distrib 10.1.26-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
--
-- Host: 999.999.999.999    Database: alfamat_db
-- ------------------------------------------------------

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8mb4 */;
/*!40103 SET @OLD_TIME_ZONE=@@TIME_ZONE */;
/*!40103 SET TIME_ZONE='+00:00' */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */; /*!40101 SET @OLD_SQL_MODE=@@SQL_MODE, SQL_MODE='NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO' */;
/*!40111 SET @OLD_SQL_NOTES=@@SQL_NOTES, SQL_NOTES=0 */;
root@ispc6:~#

I tried the same dump command on the SOURCE with suitable username and password, there the command does dump oodles of stuff after similar /* ..... */ lines.

As can be seen form the above dump output, the TARGET has MariaDb and SOURCE has very old MySQL. Is this some incompatibility that prevents dumping contents of database?I did find similar problems from year 2008, when running mysqldump on MySQL 5 to dump data from MySQL 4 server resulted in no data in the dump.

Tapio Lehtonen