Re: Wanted - a Debian handheld

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 02:24:18PM +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 06:37:28AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
I've asked a very similar question on two fora and received useful feedback. I've revised my feature list.

Must:

Given JUST these requirements, almost any android device will suffice.

1. be currently available from U.S. retail vendor.

Android makes up ~50% of the U.S. handheld market.

2. have a physical form factor similar to a "smartphone".

While non-"smartphone" android devices exist (Tablets, TV devices, Android Auto etc), they are a relatively small percentage of the Android install base. Almost all are non-flip smartphone form-factor.

3. have provision for using an _optional_ full size keyboard.
 [A permanently attached keyboard is undesirable.]

This is achievable either through bluetooth or through USB (additional hardware such as a USB-on-the-go adapter and USB hub may be required)

4. have touchscreen display.

Android smartphones without touchscreen displays are, if they exist, so rare as to be unheard of. Some of the cheaper ones MAY come with a resistive touchscreen, though, if that's an issue.

5. be able to read/write a USB flash drive (preferably FAT32 or ext2).

Again, this would be achievable with a USB-on-the-go cable, though something like Stickmount[1] may make mounting the device easier.

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount

6. not have cell network connectivity as purchased.

The easiest solution is to not fit a SIM card, however, be aware that in some countries limited cellular access may be possible even without a SIM card (for example, in some countries you can call emergency services from a phone with no SIM card; in some you do need a SIM card even if it is out-of-range, blocked or not activated).

Oh, and I've remembered another alternative, the Purism Librem 5[2]. This is NOT available in the U.S. (though it should be in the coming months), but it's a 5" touchsceen smartphone with USB hosting capability, and a hardware kill-switch for disabling baseband (cellular) radio.

[2] https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Raspberry Pi was suggested on both fora. I investigated it and Beaglebone. Both are uncomfortably DIY. Minimally acceptable would be a parts list [including case and battery] known to work together.

TIA

--
For more information, please reread.

--