Re: Debian Live USB fails; bricks the USB stick

On 2017-11-08 at 11:00, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Kent West wrote:
>
>> The Yosemite Mac's Disk Utility gives me more info
>> "This disk is not writable and can't be partitioned"
>> that the Write Status is Read Only,
>
> It really looks like this info comes from the stick's firmware and is
> not fabricated by a software layer of the operating system.

Last time I saw a USB drive insist it was read-only in anything like
this fashion, it was indeed because the firmware had been set that way;
it was the install medium for some Autodesk software, shipped on branded
USB drives just for the additional cachet.

I had that drive because I'd been asked to see if I could find a way to
make it writable. I did indeed track one down, but it's apparently
model-specific, and not super-reliable (in addition to requiring a USB3
port, at least for the models I was looking at); it involves essentially
flashing the firmware of the USB drive, using specialized software
dedicated for the purpose.

I don't know of any software for that purpose that's available for
Linux, and the Windows tools I found (which I'd have to dig up again
from scratch) were not only closed source but also somewhat model- or at
least manufacturer-specific, but if you want to restore this drive to an
operational state this may be an avenue worth pursuing.

--
   The Wanderer