Re: Handhelds that conviently run Debian

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 07:50:21AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On a regional mailing list I had described what I'm looking for as a tablet.
> That seems to include things that fold.  Although I *DON'T* want a
> "smartphone", that physical form factor is desirable. It must be available
> as "new" from a U.S. retailer.
>
> I have a preference for x86 processors, that is not a requirement.
> I would like to use with a USB keyboard.
> It will be used for simple data collection and data will be transferred to
> home system primarily via a USB flash drive.
>
> I suspect I've some unrecognized assumptions.
> Suggestions please.

You might be looking for a palmtop or a netbook. A palmtop is an
ultra-mini laptop with a keyboard, screen, storage and I/O. A
netbook is simply a small, low-powered laptop.

https://medium.com/@tomac/qpd-pocket-7-the-return-of-the-hacker-netbook-fe9be1b02ebf

and

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

describe current Linux-running palmtops.

For a netbook, you can get a Chromebook (frequently under $250)
and read the various install guides to get Debian on instead of
the Chrome Linux system.

-dsr-