Sync two disks and hot swap

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

 * A server with two hard drives in removable cases
 * A backup process writes data to both disks, making up a live backup server
 * A third disk is to be kept off-site
 * On a ergular basis, I want to hot-swap one of the disks, as in, remove
   one of the two synced disks and replace it with the stale off-site copy,
   and put the now recent copy off-site

I figure that a simple software RAID 1 would do the trick, but it is not
really made for it and would need some complex manual intervention in
order to not break the state on the removed disk.

Any ideas on how to achieve this, or arguments that RAID 1 would indeed
be a good solution?

Cheers,
Nik