Re: Configuring a TLS tunnel for an HTTP browser.

On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 09:00:33PM -0800, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to make a tunnel to allow a local HTTP browser to
> connect to any remote HTTPS server.  Appears to be possible using
> Apache.  I've found several Web pages about  proxy service for local
> HTTPS servers and remote browsers but that's not my interest. Can
> anyone cite helpful documentation?

Hi Peter,

I believe that what you want to accomplish can be done with squid.  I
was originally going to suggest stunnel, but that would work to wrap
local inetd-based services with SSL/TLS and your description says you
want the reverse.  I think that the proxy approach is the only way to do
that.

The only thing about which I am not certain is whether the local user
would be able to enter a plan HTTP URL and then squid can transparently
proxy to HTTPS.  Certainly for HTTPS end-to-end you cannot proxy
transparently.

Regards,

-Roberto

--