Re: new ssd in dell optiplex 745, won't even load grub

On Saturday 28 October 2017 22:41:41 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2017-10-28 21:43 (UTC-0400):
> > On Saturday 28 October 2017 20:23:33 Felix Miata wrote:
> >> Gene Heskett composed on 2017-10-28 15:28 (UTC-0400):
> >
> > Gee, thats ancient compared to yours. :(
> >
> >> My 745 has 2.6.2. Primary Grub is on /dev/sda3 on 1TB rust. I
> >> downloaded BIOS 2.6.6, but never got an urge to install it.
> >> Download page also offers 2.6.4:
> >> <http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicet
> >>ag/901dsc1/drivers> >> Better to cut, paste, and edit in your own 7
> >> digit service tag.
> >
> > I'll have to get it, I saw it in the bios. I assume its put it on a
> > cd and reboot to the cd?
>
> CD boot to flash a BIOS is not something I can recall ever trying. I
> boot DOS to run DOS flashing utilities, which vary from brand to brand
> and model to model. Though my 745 has a floppy drive, apparently I
> never tried to do it yet, but I do know I've successfully upgraded a
> bunch of OptiPlex BIOSes, starting way back with the 110.
>
> I commonly have a bootable DOS sda1 on my multiboot machines and use
> it. Otherwise I most often do a temporary HD swap that I have added
> the flashing utility and/or BIOS file to by attaching it by eSATA or
> USB to whatever machine downloaded the update(s). Making a USB stick
> bootable to DOS is something else I can't recall ever trying yet. Lots
> of machines here can't boot USB.
>
> http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?drive
>rId=GRJ7T does have a crude instruction how to proceed with flashing
> the 745. If your 745 has no floppy drive I think you'll probably have
> to use USB to suffer through this one on your own, or with help from
> http://www.bootdisk.com/ and/or something from http://www.freedos.org/
> . The 2.6.6 BIOS file is barely more than half the capacity of a 3.5"
> floppy.

My problem, despite having several machines with floppies in them, is
finding one that actually works. Even if removed and cleaned and lubed.

> Whether your old 745 BIOS in fact has anything to do with Grub failure
> is another matter. :-p

I have doubts myself Felix, besides, I managed to get enough ducks in a
row to fix that since I posted, with some help of course.  So we're
booting ok now, if at the downright leasurely pace of a trs-80 color
computer. :) Post on this thing is glacial. But once posted, it begins
to wake up and act like a 3.4 GHz Pentium D that it claims it is,
marching along at a more reasonable pace.

Thanks Felix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)