Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On Fri 27 Oct 2017 at 18:05:23 (-0400), Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:46:53PM +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> > Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Think about that for a minute.  The mere action of an interface (any
> > > interface on the system) obtaining a DHCP lease is sufficient to have
> > > dhclient think it needs to obliterate my manual networking configuration
> > > with settings from the DHCP server.
> >
> > Well, yes. That's what DHCP *does*.
> >
> The problem I have with it is that in my case there are other *static*
> interfaces on the system and DHCP's assumption that it is operating in a
> vacuum is terribly annoying.

Yes, that's why some people recommended resolvconf to moderate
its (and other packages') behaviour. That's what resolvconf does.

> I cannot be the only person who has
> encountered this particular issue with these circumstances and been
> frustrated by how difficult it is to, 1) find out what exactly is
> happening, and 2) make it stop.

No, nor to unintentionally cause a wild goose chase by making a
reporting error. Nor to have your thread derailed by people posting
their favourite purported "solutions" that have already been
discredited here.

OTOH I think it's understandable that the thread is prolonged by
well-intentioned suggestions to adopt the "official" Debian way
of handling this with resolvconf. Am I the only person surprised
that there wasn't more advocacy for systemd-resolved.service
as well.

Cheers,
David.