Re: Why does resolv.conf keep changing?

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 02:42:49PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> Yes. Still the open question remains: why is it being changed although
> the "immutable" attriibute was set?
>
> The OP says so, and we must believe that, but I've a hard time imagining
> how that happens (whatever program is doing that, let's assume it is
> root, would have first to explicitly revert that attribute).

So, I was fiddling with this again yesterday and I set/reset the
immutable attribute several times.  On the occassions when the file
changed it was when immutable was not set.  I set it again about 10
hours ago and resolv.conf has not changed since then.

I am confident that it was set the first time when I reported that the
file was changed even though I had made it immutable.  That makes me
wonder if some process had an open file descriptor on it.  However,
there was nothing in lsof.  In fact, I have not been able to see any
evidence of any actual process changing resolv.conf except for the
changed file itself.  I never see anything in any of the logs indicating
that something is changing resolv.conf or complaining that it can't.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez