Re: [OT] Breaking WPA2 by forcing nonce reuse

On Thu 19 Oct 2017 at 20:53:50 (-0400), Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 13:46:08 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > And how secure are the powerline adapters? Most probably they're
> > > broadcasting their stuff over your and your neighbour's AC net on
> > > top of some unspecified proprietary modulation. Just sayin'...
> >
> > AIUI 128-bit AES on non-ancient ones. For your neighbour to eavesdrop,
> > they need to press their device's authenticate button when you press
> > yours. You can probably minimise the chances of the authentication
>
> See this thread:
>
> https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/9725/are-powerline-ethernet-adapters-inherently-secure
>
> and this post in particular:
>
> https://security.stackexchange.com/a/76266

Interesting that people posting to a technical site would run their
devices using the factory default settings.

I can't agree with Rory Alsop saying that sockets/outlets have to be
on the same phase. With a 220 volt supply, individual households are
going to be on the same phase anyway. In the US, where the voltage
splits at the main box, I've tested using opposite sides (and with
GFCI outlets) and found no problem. If there used to be a problem,
I think they solved it by using the neutral wire which is common.

I've read about using another device to "capture" the legitimate
network but I think you have to get a good connection to the power
circuit to achieve that. (We might be unusual in having interior
switches on all our external power outlets.)

I've tried measuring interference on the radio, and the devices
themselves do give off quite a bit within a metre or so (FM/MW/LW),
but I can only detect similar interference noises at distant outlets
by poking the telescopic aerial at the socket itself. None of this
affects the stations when you've tuned then in, even our preferred FM
station which transmits from 66 miles away.

I haven't tested DAB as my DAB radio only works on FM, but in that
role it works perfectly even though it's only three metres from the
main Powerline nexus and the router. If we had an HD radio (US's DAB)
I think it would be another source of analogue interference rather
than suffering from it. But thank goodness the days of CB radio
are long past.

Perhaps one day I'll climb a tree and see if we can get broadcast TV,
as the nearest local station we can Roku is 100 miles away. But
the amount of advertising they carry kills any motivation.

All in all, the Powerlines suit us perfectly and are quite secure
enough in our situation. Perhaps not so good in a condo.

Cheers,
David.