Re: Delayed list posts [Was: Re: systemd process(es) consuming CPU when laptop lid closed

On Tue 17 Oct 2017 at 21:02:39 +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 16.10.17 22:12, Glen B wrote:
> > You’re going to get an e-mail from me in ~10 hours or so saying I
> > fixed it; for some reason, this mailing list is delaying my emails by
> > about 24 hours. So much for speedy technology!
>
> It was 25.4 hrs for your message:

>         UTC
>
> The reason might just be:
>
> (Client CN "mail.protection.outlook.com", Issuer "Microsoft IT SSL SHA2" (not verified))
> by bendel.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 0BBC876
> for <debian-user@lists.debian.org>; Tue, 17 Oct 2017 08:53:29 +0000 (UTC)

Whatever the significance of the "delayed 91420 seconds", 25.4 hours was
not the time between the mail being sent and the list software sending it
out. That is closer to 11 hours (not 17.5 hours as I said previously).

As I understand greylisting, the client first has the mail rejected and
then has to try later, the default time interval for a retry generally
being 300 seconds. Perhaps mail.protection.outlook.com uses a different
IP address each time. That wouldn't go down well.

--
Brian.