Logitech "unifying" receiver buttons aren't?

Greetings all;

What does the word Unifying, as I see in dmesg for some, but not all, the
the rx buttons for wireless keyboards/mice, actually mean?

I took that to mean that it could work for both their (logitech's)
keyboards or mice, possibly at the same time so that it might be usable
for both at the same time, thereby saving a usb2 socket.

Testing that theory got that idea squashed, so what exactly does that
word unifying mean?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)