Re: x : keyboard not working

On Mon 09 Oct 2017 at 20:23:18 (+0200), Mattia Oss wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 11:11:26PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > I avoid having to copy those files by appending my changes to
> > /etc/console-setup/remap.inc and then running
> > dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration.
> > But I'm not making major changes like you, just some modifications
> > to make the VCs behave like X, and eliminating the annoyance when
> > you catch your finger or thumb on Alt as you hit the space bar.
> >
> > # Ctrl-arrow keys need to send the same codes as in X/xterm.
> > Control keycode 105 = F51
> > string F51 = "\033[1;5D"
> > Control keycode 106 = F52
> > string F52 = "\033[1;5C"
> > Control keycode 108 = F53
> > string F53 = "\033[1;5B"
> > Control keycode 103 = F54
> > string F54 = "\033[1;5A"
> >
> > # Alt-space may as well produce a space rather than
> > # nul Meta_nul or Meta_space
> > alt keycode 57 = F41
> > string F41 = " "
>
> So this is the right® way to have a custom keyboard layout in Debian?

This thread is derived from an earlier one entitled:
"text-mode : console : resolution : vga 80x25 : how to set?".
Although the OP had given up on consoles, I had hoped that
my post there might reawaken interest. Hence I have strived
here to make any configurations I have suggested applicable
to both VCs and X.

> always edited the files in /usr/share/X11/xkb but everytime xkb-data is
> updated they are silently overwritten.
> How do I get something like:
> key <AB10> { [ slash, underscore, minus ] };
>
> Do you have a good link to share?

I would look at this thread's post previous to the one you
replied to. This deals with making extensive alterations,
whereas mine are piecemeal (a few keys, single modifier)
for which remap.inc works well (and can keep VCs/X in sync).

Cheers,
David.