Debian-installer writes /dev/ references in grub.cfg, was Re: Log files: location and description

On Sat 07 Oct 2017 at 09:36:37 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:

> My current problem is finding the appropriate logs to document the
> details behind my addendum to Bug 852323.

Looking at the grub.cfg written by stretch's d-i RC3, it
appears to write

        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-2-686 root=/dev/sda2 ro  quiet

where one might expect

        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-2-686 root=UUID=7ccc1c1c-a690-418b-96c0-edcce6ebd3c1 ro  quiet

AFAICT the problem goes away when the installed system's own Grub
updates grub.cfg for whatever reason.

Most people won't notice this as a problem because their /dev/sdX
labelling is stable, but this stability seems to be evaporating
somewhat with the ?new USB3 interfaces that win the race to be
so labelled.

My knowledge of Grub's inner workings is too rudimentary to know
whether the search commands beforehand, which do refer to UUIDs,
have any bearing on the matter.

Cheers,
David.