Re: Log files: location and description

On 10/07/2017 03:01 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Sat 07 Oct 2017 at 09:36:37 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]

I have a hypothesis, but I need to have facts to back it up.
Specifically:
1. During the installation process I need to inventory when and
   "as what" various USB devices are recognized. The installation
   target is a USB drive and Grub is being installed to its MBR.

It's all in /var/log/installer, specifically syslog.
partman has the partitioning, and hardware-summary gives
both that and related software summaries. That's all after
the event, of course. While the d-i is running, syslog
is under /var/log as normal.

I didn't find what I wanted.
It is very possible I just didn't recognize it.
Is there a guide for reading them?