Re: x : keyboard not working

On Saturday 07 October 2017 22:09:43 Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 10:18:51AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 October 2017 07:33:17 Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > > Well I had to reboot that computer with cackling hyenas in the
> > > background saying things like “well you should know not to launch
> > > an indefinite number of processes in the background”.
> >
> > But yer poking around in my stomping grounds with yur old fart
> > characterizations. Uphill 2 miles in several feet of snow each way
> > to school etc etc.
>
> 2 miles of snow? We were -lucky- to have snow ...

You could easily have come and taken a few trainloads that winter, 1941
IIRC, and we would have been thankful. I did ride an old mare about
halfway, when it was blizzarding but had to walk the last mile because
that was where the only barn I could leave her in for the day when it
went below zero F.  One thing we always did on the farm in central Iowa
was take care of our work animals, and this barn was nice & tight. I
don't recall now that I ever noticed the manure was frozen. The little
boy got cold, but never frostbit, so we survived.  Out on vacation, I
took my present wife back down those roads about 20 years back, finding
grandpa's house, but all the land around it had been sold & all the farm
outbuildings burned, so it was just a 4 room clapboard being rented now.
Even found the schoolhouse I went to, but it was just a rubble walled
shell by then. Thatched roof long gone, but the big "Warm Morning"
heating stove was still there. I was amazed to see those 2+ foot thick
cemented rubble walls had stood the test of time.

I also took the missus over some of the covered "Bridges of Madison
County" that Eastwood and Streep made the movie about, and I've been
twice in the little cottage in Winterset where a movie actor named
Marion Morrison was born.  You might know him as John Wayne.

Its been a long, and interesting ride so far.

> > Generally speaking, I'm the real thing, turned 83 this
> > past Wednesday. There is one thing about advanced age, you get to
> > chuckle and grin when you realize you've out-lived the last of your
> > shoot on sight enemies. ;-)
>
> 'Tis a monoply I tell ya, a monocley :)
>
> Indeed, you're nearly twice me age - I best be thankful I kin tie me
> shoe laces I better... I's gettin rooly old :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)