Re: x : keyboard not working

On Saturday 07 October 2017 03:27:50 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 12:14:29AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Thanks for asking.  To find the clue, install locate, updatedb, then
> > look for README.Debian, and out of the 40 or 50 that spits out, read
> > the one with keyboard-config in its locate output line.
>
> Or let the computer do the legwork:
>
>   tomas@rasputin:~$ locate README.Debian | xargs zgrep -il keyboard
>   /home/tomas/bluez-src/bluez-5.23/debian/README.Debian
>   /usr/share/doc/acpi-support/README.Debian
>   /usr/share/doc/aplus-fsf-el/README.Debian.gz
>   /usr/share/doc/cryptsetup/README.Debian.gz
>   /usr/share/doc/kbd/README.Debian
>   /usr/share/doc/keyboard-configuration/README.Debian
>   /usr/share/doc/libbluetooth3/README.Debian.gz
>   /usr/share/doc/xkb-data/README.Debian
>   /usr/share/doc/xterm/README.Debian

That does strip it down, but one could have just used a second piped grep
to find the one for keyboard -configuration.
pi@picnc:~/kernel-rt-preempt/linux-rpi-4.9.y $ locate README.Debian|grep
keyboard- -
/usr/share/doc/keyboard-configuration/README.Debian

> After all, that's why we all ditched windows twenty years ago, ain't
> it?

Iiyyuupp. But only sorta. I ditched Amigados3.9. I've only ever owned one
windows machine. I needed a lappy for when I was half-way across the
country playing visiting fireman at the KREX complex in Grand Junction
CO, or at WDHS in Iron Mountain MI.  Circuit City would not sell it to
me with a clean hard drive so I was stuck with an OEM xp install.
Buggier than a 10 day old road kill in August too. And by the time I
loaded it to go to the airport, it had a ManDrake install on it. And the
xp partition got nuked 2 weeks later when I found the windows drivers
for its radio couldn't make it work either.  That thing has a pcmcia
card with a bcm4318 on it in it, back when bcm was suffering from the
winders only virus.  I called bcm, and they hung up when they heard the
word linux, we don't support it, click. That blacklisted bcm in my book
for over a decade. The only way to fix jerks like that is to cost them
sales until such time as the sales dept gets the message.

> Gene: I agree: locate is really cool.
>
> Popping up your favorite editor window for each hit is left as an
> exercise for the reader ;-)

Actually, my fav reader for such tomfoolery is less.  More can't scroll
backwards.  Ya gotta love the *nix sense of humor. Less has everything
More doesn't. :)

> Of course, if your editor is called Emacs, you can pull of that kind
> of stunt from within Emacs, with clickable links for each hit. But I
> disgress...

Thats not an editor, its an os competing with linux!

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)