Re: x : keyboard not working

David Wright composed on 2017-10-06 20:25 (UTC-0500):

> On Fri 06 Oct 2017 at 18:57:31 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:

>> Brian composed on 2017-10-06 23:31 (UTC+0100):
>> > 'setxbdmap -option "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"' in ~/.xsession is less
>> > typing and more user-friendly.

>> 1-That was an "as-is" copy from Fedora on a multiboot system, much easier than
>> typing in an ~/.xsession file that didn't exist. I have no idea whether the
>> match or layout lines would be necessary in Debian.

>> 2-Keyword: "user-friendly". /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf is global
>> configuration, vs. user-specific ~/.xsession.

> I don't understand why you want to do it this way. Debian unified
> /etc/default/keyboard so that the values specified there are used
> in both the VCs and X.

1-I was responding to the sole thread focus on user-specific configuration,
pointing out global configuration as an alternative.

2-xorg.conf came first, thus, familiarity with configuration via
/etc/X11/xorg.conf*. Most of the time I need to use it anyway for things
other than keyboard in Xorg. No need to fix what ain't broke.

3-man page for /etc/default/keyboard is a redirect to the keyboard man page,
which like most man pages I find thin on examples.

4-aversion to that directory name. To me, defaults are things shipped by the
distro provider. /etc/sysconfig/keyboard would make more sense for something
globally managed by the admin, along with keeping shipped defaults in /usr.

Alternatives in Gnu/Linux can be a double-edged sword. :-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/