Re: Can't find the DNS Servers

On Wed 04 Oct 2017 at 13:21:02 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 11:59:04AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On Wed 04 Oct 2017 at 09:11:37 (+0300), Reco wrote:
> > > A correct way to fix this is to "persuade" your DHCP server not to
> > > provide DNS information.
> > > Even more correct way is to force your DNS-at-DHCP to use 8.8.8.8 as
> > > forwarder DNS.
> > > Since it's unnaturally complex to do so in a consumer-grade routers, a
> > > hack is in order.
> >
> > But won't that send local host lookups to google which won't have a clue?
>
> Which problem are we attempting to solve, exactly?  I seem to recall
> that the reported symptom was "I can't do apt-get update", which means
> the priority is getting real Internet DNS resolution working.

"I can't even reach the other computers on my home network if I use
their names. IP addresses work OK." as well.

> If there's a need to add local area network hosts, then *after* the real
> Internet DNS is working, the OP can decide whether to add LAN hosts
> to /etc/hosts on each machine, or to set up a LAN DNS nameserver, and
> wrangle resolv.conf and/or DHCP to point to it.  (Many steps and details
> omitted here for simplicity's sake.)

I'm obviously out of my league. I was under the impression that
everyone set up networking by working outwards from the loopback
interface to the universe, rather than the other way round.

> Which way the OP *should* go depends mostly on how many LAN hosts we're
> talking about.  Which way they *will* go... anyone's guess.

As I just posted, I thought the OP was already using a DNS server in
the Actiontec router. (I don't have that choice.)

Cheers,
David.