Re: Free TCP/IP port numbers?

Victor Porton wrote:

> We are going to install a range of software on a Debian Linux
> installation. Because we run the same software (such as Celery) several
> times, we need to use port numbers different than the standard Debian port
> numbers chosen by default (because we can't run more than one instance of
> a server with the same port, and thus using the standard port number for
> all servers would fail).
>
> How to choose TCP/IP port numbers for server software we run in such a way
> that they don't clash with "standard" Debian port numbers?
>
> In Debian are there any ranges of port numbers dedicated (so that they
> wouldn't clash with "standard" that is used by default port numbers) for
> servers configured by users?
>
> Note that we run (at least some of) our software not as root, so we can't
> use ports below 1024.

It is your machine, so the question is, is this machine dedicated to
specific service, or you intend to install some other application later.

I usually take the ports that I want - you don't need to ask for permission
to do so.

I prefer using 8000 - 30000 range for servers and from 30001 - 61000 for
client communication.

You can reserve this range for yourself on the machine

# sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 32768    60999

This way all client communication will  use this range and you can configure
the servers to use therange 8000 - 32000

Forget the crap service list - just take into account what apps you are
running

regards