Re: virtualbox - missing packages

On 9/30/17, Sven Hoexter <sven@timegate.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 09:16:59AM +0200, Hans wrote:
>
>> maybe you need to add this entry in sources.list:
>>
>> deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian stretch contrib
>
> Or you just use the packages from stretch-backports? Those should be the
> best fit for now.
> https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
>
> The original error message looked a bit like OP tried to use the
> packages from testing/unstable in stretch which actually worked for
> some time.

I've unfortunately lost track of my personal notes on this so I'm
winging it. There's this option:

apt-get install --fix-missing

You run it generically just like that. I'm encountering references to
something like "dpkg-reconfigure --all" and dpkg-reconfigure
[package-name].

"dpkg-reconfigure --all" that pops up in search engine inquiries
didn't work at all *for me*. Instead, it kept suggesting other
options.

"dpkg-reconfigure [package-name]" appeared to function. Was tested on
a normally functioning package so there wasn't much to learn from that
beyond that it *appeared* to be the right command (because it didn't
complain and offer alternative flags).

"dpkg-reconfigure --force [package-name] is rolling around out there,
too. Feels like I've tried that one, but it's a go at your own risk
kind of thing. In cases like this thread, I like the sound of that
"--force" flag. :)

It feels like I'm missing one that I've even shared on this list, but
it's not coming to mind this morning *if* there is another one.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *