Re: Restore backup to KVM

	Hi.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 06:30:21AM +0200, solitone wrote:
> On 28/09/17 08:58, Reco wrote:
> > It's initrd that first tries to mount tmpfs filesystems on /root (and
> > fails), and only *then* mounts your root filesystem to /root (with the
> > intention to switch to it as /).

> Also, I don't understand why it needs to mount the root filesystem to /root.

So, I did some tests. Results are somewhat unexpected.

First things first, either I'm missing something, or MODULES=most does
not work as advertised. It did not put "all harddrive drivers" into
initrd for me.

Second, once I convinced update-initramfs to put missing kernel modules
into initrd, QEMU booted successfully with "init=/bin/bash".

If I understand what's written in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/script
correctly, the way it should work is the following:

1) Unpack initrd, load kernel modules, etc.

2) Mount root filesystem to /root (and that's initrd's /root!).

3) Re-mount /dev into /root/dev (that's init-bootom/udev, and that's
where it fails for you).

4) Mount procfs, sysfs (and several others) into appropriate directories
of /root.

5) Mount everything appropriate from /etc/fstab.

6) Execute pivot_root(8) to switch root filesystem, start init.

Therefore the next thing I have to suspect is that your backup misses
/dev directory (possibly /proc and /sys). The contents for those are
irrelevant. You simply do not have /dev, /proc, /sys in your root
filesystem.

Reco